We're so excited for you to meet Kaitlyn, an energetic Yogi who will be joining the Barreworks team as a substitute Yoga instructor. Kaitlyn found yoga after injury took her away from her competitive figure skating career. She completed her 200hr Yoga Teacher Training at YYoga Toronto, and is passionate about yoga as a well-rounded practice of breath work, meditation, strength, balance and flexibility. She strongly believes in taking the yoga practice off the mat and into the real world, and will encourage you to move your body, calm your mind, and fall in love with the practice. Keep reading to learn more about this lovely human!
Top Faves Pop Quiz!
- Pre-workout food? Greek yogurt with berries & nuts.
- Apré-workout food? Eggs & usually Ezekiel bread.
- Dessert? Anything dark chocolate and raspberry. Ideally some sort of mousse or lava cake.
- Workout gear? lululemon all day every day!
- 3 favourite ways to sweat? Yoga, running and barre!! (Shout out to HIIT and body-weight exercises!)
- Restaurant in Toronto? My kitchen! I love the entire experience of cooking. I love the grocery shopping, then throwing on some music and having a dance party or sing-a-long while I dream up some delicious eats!
- Travel destination? I love Florence, Italy and would love to go back. I've always dreamt of going to Bora Bora (although I'm not really a beach person, but I do love the looks of those huts on the water). I'd love to go to most places in Europe, I'm currently dreaming of going to Amsterdam. Anywhere really where you can walk around and take in the culture.
- Fave way to relax? Reading a book, taking a bath or throwing on face mask. Maybe all three at the same time? I love self-care!
- Netflix/TV show? RuPaul's Drag Race or Real Housewives of anywhere (I love reality TV, it's my not-so guilty pleasure)
What made you decide you wanted to become a Yoga Instructor at Barreworks? I love the energy of the studio, the community and the brilliance of the teachers. When I first began practicing at the studio, I was blown away by the attention to detail that the instructors have while teaching an upbeat, fast-paced, intelligent and super fun class. I felt the burn as I learned!
What do you love most about teaching? I love making students feel good about themselves. I like to challenge my students to try something new, to get in-tune with their bodies and to find a bit of breath in their busy lives.
What keeps you motivated/feeling positive on days when your body feels tired and your energy is low? I am someone who really thrives on routine, so I try to start my day with a really strong morning routine that will start my day on a good foot or will give me the chance to reflect and work on my positivity if I woke up on the wrong side of the bed (hey, it happens!) I try to wake up with the sunrise, read my book as I drink my coffee. Afterwards, I focus on self-care, I'll roll out my yoga mat to get the blood flowing, then I'll meditate and take a few minutes to journal. Finally, I'll sit down with my planner and see what my plans are for the day. I try to use this mindfulness and carry it through the rest of my day, so if I'm feeling low, I'll know what type of exercise or activities will build me up. If I'm exhausted, I'll only commit myself to 20 minutes of exercise. Typically, I'll start feeling so good after the 20 minutes, that I'll continue through a full workout! If I'm still not feeling super positive after the 20 mins, I'll give myself permission to have a bath, or watch a movie, or do something else to up my mood, no guilt!
How do you want your clients to feel when they leave your classes? How do you help them achieve that? I want my clients to feel like they know themselves a little bit better. I do that by always encouraging them to listen to their bodies as they move through the practice. I'll give my students opportunities to do a self-check and make sure that they're moving with breath and noticing how their bodies are feeling. I like to challenge my students, whether that is by having them hold a super strong pose for longer than is comfortable and feel the burn or have them hold a more restorative pose for longer than is comfortable and feel the unease that may arise by being quiet. I like to encourage students to safely move through their comfort zones and use that opportunity to get to know who they really are.
What would you say is your greatest strength as an instructor/how will this positively impact your clients? I am extremely passionate about yoga and teaching and this passion comes out when I teach a class. I enthusiastically cheer for students when they try something new or when they listen to a cue and find their alignment in a shape. I like to always learn about the practice and am always growing as a teacher, which keeps my classes fresh and exciting. I am upbeat, playful and fun and I like to show that off with my creative sequencing, fun playlists and general awesome attitude! You will feel that fun energy in all my classes!
What would you say to people trying Barreworks for the first time? Get ready to sweat and laugh and learn! You're going to feel the burn, you're going to feel challenged but you're going to feel super supported by the amazing community and instructors!
Facebook Page: @kaitlynwarneyoga
Photos by: Blythe Sheppard